Saturday, August 20, 2005

September I-Schools Conference

Penn State is hosting an I-School Conference
September 28-30, 2005

From the Web Site
This conference is the first of an annual celebration of our field — its accomplishments, its potential, and its challenges. It brings together administrators, faculty members, and graduate students to share our best practices of research, education, and i-school life. It is an ongoing effort to build our sense of community, purpose, partnership, and identify as well as to foster an understanding of the grand challenges we attack (and the contributions we make) as a result of our inter- and multi-disciplinary perspectives.


http://iconference.ist.psu.edu/content/view/26/41/



I-School Links

The School for Information Studies at Syracuse University
http://istweb.syr.edu/

University of Michigan School of Information
http://www.si.umich.edu/

School of Information Sciences and Technology
http://ist.psu.edu/prospectivestudents/graduate/

2 Comments:

Blogger Jill Hurst-Wahl said...

From an earlier message in the blog, I thought that UM wasn't an I-School, but I see that CLIS is involved in the conference. I'm also glad to see that CLIS is part of WISE (http://www.wiseeducation.org/home_p-home.aspx).

I think one of the things that might be developed on the second floor is space for "labs" where students can work together on projects (work-space, as is were). Perhaps with the right technology so they can collaborate with students at other universities. A library is often a place where work gets done, so build new spaces where work in this new century can get done.

8:06 PM  
Blogger Kevin said...

Dear Jill,

Thanks for writing. I have always been an advocate for updating and investing in better space for students.

What an I-school is and which programs better exemplify that is an iteresting question, one sorta embedded, or not, in your posting. CLIS is indeed trying to shake the "library school" image, and for some excellent reasons, in my humble opinion.

My efforts to "Save Wasserman" are by no means efforts to ensure it remains unchanged. For most of my time at CLIS I also was pushing for more appropriate technologies, like server spaces etc.

While recognizing that the space needs to be administered in some way, I really hope it doesn't become "office space" in the quest for other solutions.

I hope you, and many others, can attend the town hall meetings. Let's get CLIS out of the old and into the new, I agree.

9:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home