Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Great points!

The following is posted at the request of the author. Many thanks to her for her contribution to the discussion as follows:

I had to voice my sadness over hearing that Wasserman will close. The library, its resources, and staff have been an invaluable part of my experience at CLIS. I was very surprised after hearing the news, especially after learning in classes about budget cuts and the closing of libraries. Our own program seems to have fallen victim to this same event.

I just couldn't let this move happen without saying exactly how Wasserman has helped me.

1) Study space. With the many group projects required in classes this is a great space to meet. Not only because it is in the builiding but the library also provides access to computers and print resources-whatever is needed for the group project. It is also a good place for studying for exams or working on class projects.

2) Print resources. As I've learned time and time again, not all resources are online. Not all databases provide full-text access and not having the print resources would make finding information difficult if not impossible. Besides the fact that many print resources can sometimes be much easier to use than online ones. I have copied journal articles here as well as checked out books.

3)Electronic resources. Electronic resources are critical and having our computer lab (as well as having the WAM lab was valuable for when classes were held in our computer lab thus making it unavailable to students) was very beneficial.

4) The staff. Tim, Karen, and the rest of the staff have been invaluable source of information. Quite frankly, I can't imagine Wasserman without them. They are friendly, professional, and efficient. In particular, Karen's current awareness service has proved very helpful. One article title she posted on the list serv was exactly on topic for a semester project in one of my classes. I came to the library and copied it.

5) Access. Have I used other libraries on campus? Yes. The interdisciplinary nature of the program makes it a necessity. But it is extremly helpful to have our library right in the same buidling where classes are held. It can be used before, between, and after classes without leaving the builiding and walking as far as McKeldin.

5) Wasserman-the heart of CLIS. Yes I go to the CLIS lounge when there is an event but when I think of CLIS I think of Wasserman. It is where I come back to each semester to see my classmates and friends and speak to the staff about problems or questions. It just makes me sad to think of all of this gone.

I feel that this move will be more of a hinderance than a help to CLIS students.

Susan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home